Saturday, June 16, 2007

Generosity...


...or is it empathy? You decide.

After my work and Alek's chinese playgroup we met for dinner at a Bethesda restaurant, Matuba. Sushi (for Susan and I) and tempura-donburi for Alek. Dinner went well, Alek ate a fair number of edamame and rice so we got dessert, vanilla ice cream topped with sweet red beans (adzuki) and three spoons. Alek didn't much care for the beans, but vanilla ice cream is always a hit. We took turns digging pieces off the main scoop. Near the end, I accidentally dropped a spoonful back in the bowl. Alek laughed as his spoon dove towards my easy prey. So cute, I let him have it without a fight and reached for iced green tea. Only to be interupted by a high pitched "Baba"? As I turned, an spoon dripping with ice cream soup approached my face at an arkward angle. "Baba eat it?" Of course, I had to try, such an unanticipated fathers day gift has to be acknowledged. We both beamed with pride.

But wait there's more! This afternoon, Alek was having a snack as we watched some TV after nap. Cheerios to be precise. At some point he climbed up on the couch and handed me a cheerio, "Baba eat it"? Of course, I would. Only after I started chewing did Alek say, "That one dropped on ground". Gee Thanks! With mild amusement, I reminded myself that it's the thought that counts but what was he thinking? Was that generosity...or humor?

No comments: