Friday, July 6, 2007

Empathy


As I walked around campus, I noticed casual passers-by, and nearly every female passer-by, were behaving differently towards me. Rather than meet my gaze or studiously avoid recognition of my physical presence, many were staring at my chest. It was a disconcerting realization. As I walked on, I did an experiment, I made it known to a few that I noticed their attention. Some smiled, while others seemed to be embarassed at having been caught. What was going on? Did my gut truely look that big? Had I spilled on myself? Looking down somewhat self-consciously, I realized what was different that day...my shirt. As you may know, father's day has just past, you may also know that each father's day since the birth of Alek I have received an Alek themed T-shirt. They are always very cute and this year's photo, seen above, is no exception captioned with "row, row, row your boat" in french. I wear them with parental pride. However, this year's shirt provided an unanticipated bonus...empathy.

No comments: